“Punching power could be the ability to take out an opponent with one punch, like Tyson had,” said Arum, who will promote Cotto’s title defense against Oktay Urkal a week from Saturday at Coliseo Roberto Clemente in San Juan, Puerto Rico. “Punching power could be based on an accumulation of punches, a relentless attack of hurting his opponent as he attacks him, and breaking him down. “And I think that Miguel will go down in boxing history in that second category as among the best that ever fought. He’s skilled, has fast hands, but it’s his relentless attack that never, never stops in hurting his opponent.” There is no question that Cotto is scary. He works the body as dynamically as he batters the head. He’s one of those fighters who can make even the most courageous opponent cringe while pondering the punishment that is sure to be forthcoming. But getting Cotto to brag a bit is about as difficult as weathering one of his tremendous left hooks. Miguel Cotto was supposed to be facing a stern test when he took on fellow Puerto Rican Carlos Quintana Dec. 2 in Atlantic City. Quintana was undefeated at 23-0. At 5-foot-9 1/2, he was 2 1/2 inches taller than Cotto. Quintana also had a five-inch reach advantage, was a southpaw and had been a welterweight his entire career. Cotto was moving up from junior welterweight. Quintana was decked twice in the fifth round and could not answer the bell for the sixth, having been taken apart by Cotto in vicious fashion. Cotto won the vacant World Boxing Association welterweight title, and the stoppage gave the former junior welterweight champion an 8-0 record with seven knockouts in championship fights. It also made a true believer out of his promoter, Bob Arum, who has 40 years in this game. Arum believes Cotto is one of the most damaging punchers the sport has seen. “I just do what I do,” Cotto, 26, said Wednesday from Puerto Rico. “I come to fight. I come to win. That’s what I think about, winning. I leave it to the fans, to the press, to everyone that knows boxing, to decide what they think of my career.” This is just the attitude that Arum believes will help propel Cotto (28-0, 23 KOs) to the top of every respectable pound-for-pound poll. Not only is Cotto physically gifted, he’s humble. “He’s looked upon as one of the top fighters in boxing and rightly so and it is our hope that in the next year or so he will be recognized as the very best,” Arum said. “He is a very hard-working young man, and he gives a lot to the sport. “But that’s so much a part of the battle today, to get a young man to not get ahead of himself and not start proclaiming that he is the best, that he can beat everybody, and just let it come. Like the great ones did, like (Marvin) Hagler and (Sugar Ray) Leonard. They didn’t claim to the rafters that they were the best. They proved that they were the best.” Judah next for Cotto Should Cotto get past the 37-year-old Urkal (38-3, 12 KOs) nine days from now – and that should not be a problem – he has already signed to defend his belt against former welterweight champion Zab Judah on June 9 at Madison Square Garden in New York City. Judah, of Brooklyn, has not fought since April 8 in Las Vegas where he lost his International Boxing Federation belt to Floyd Mayweather Jr. via lopsided decision. Judah touched off a brawl during the 10th round of the fight when he fouled Mayweather with a low blow and a rabbit punch. Judah was fined and had his license revoked by the Nevada State Athletic Commission. Originally, Arum had tried to seal a deal for Cotto to fight Mexico’s Antonio Margarito, the World Boxing Organization welterweight champion. That deal fell through. Arum, however, believes Cotto-Judah is a bigger attraction, even with the loss of the boxing rivalry between Puerto Rico and Mexico. “No question, the Judah fight is much more attractive from the standpoint of the live gate,” Arum said. “Judah is a local New York kid. He has a lot of fans. It’s a natural rivalry.” New York City, of course, has a large Puerto Rican population. “Where we lose a little bit in not having Margarito and having Judah is maybe in some pay-per-view buys in the West and the Southwest where there are many Mexican Americans,” Arum said. “However, I think that will be compensated for by the increased buys in the East, and also we want to have some prominent Mexicans on the card to help attract Mexican American and Mexican fans.” Should Cotto lose to Germany’s Urkal, that would ruin everything. As easy as it would be for him to look ahead to Judah, Cotto was adamant about where his focus lies. “On March 3, it’s going to be Urkal,” Cotto said. “That’s the one I’m thinking about. Then come June 9, I’ll be ready and thinking about Judah. First things first. One step at a time.” It’s no surprise that Judah is already talking trash. He has predicted he will knock out Cotto in five rounds. “All I can tell you is that throughout his career, Zab Judah has always been a big talker,” Cotto said. “But if you see the actions in the ring, he has not always been able to back up those words.” Judah is 34-4 with 25 knockouts, but he has lost the two biggest fights of his career – against Mayweather and Kostya Tszyu (TKO, second round). Arum-Goossen Arum and fellow promoter Dan Goossen are currently suing each other and others because of the situation surrounding a title fight between the aforementioned Margarito and Paul “The Punisher” Williams. Goossen, president of Goossen Tutor Promotions, earned the right to promote the fight when he won a purse bid conducted by the WBO. Goossen then signed Margarito and Williams to fight each other on a date and site still not determined. But the WBO has since said it will not sanction this fight until the lawsuits are settled. Goossen promotes Williams. Arum promotes Margarito and said Margarito was not free to sign for any fight without his permission. Both sides are claiming tortious interference. Well, Arum said he was stunned Tuesday when he found out that Goossen had paid Margarito several hundred thousand dollars more than the amount he was guaranteed from his share of the winning purse bid, which was slightly over $1.5 million. “When he (Goossen) signed Margarito, it was for the amount that Margarito was entitled to under the purse bid, and he paid Margarito $395,000 above the amount that he bid,” Arum said. “You can’t do that. I mean, that’s clearly tortiously interfering with our contract. “And Goossen admitted it in court papers (filed in Puerto Rico). Admitted it. I mean, that is shocking. That blows him away, blows him out of court. He didn’t win this fight on a purse bid. He won this fight by negotiating with my fighter and paying him $395,000 above the amount that he bid.” Goossen, during a telephone conversation Tuesday, said that yes he did make Margarito an offer he could not refuse. He’s proud of it, and he said it won’t amount to a hill of beans when it comes time for decisions to be handed down. Goossen is suing the Puerto Rico-based WBO and Arum in Puerto Rico and Arum is suing Goossen, Margarito and his co-managers Sergio Diaz and Francisco Espinosa in Nevada. “Many a purse bid have come up with extra terms laid into it,” Goossen said. “Especially if you want complete support in promoting the event. We are the ones who disclosed it (in court papers) because we have nothing to hide. I have a major promotion we are running and this payment is for the fight only under the rules of the WBO, and I needed full participation because it is such a big event. “From that end of it, it doesn’t interfere with whatever document Bob may have because the rights to this fight are mine.” Robert Morales can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!