Pellegrini to start in South Africa

first_imgManchester City have confirmed Manuel Pellegrini’s first game as manager will be against South African outfit Supersport United in Pretoria on July 14. The Blues will also face AmaZulu FC on July 18 in Durban on a two-match tour as part of the Nelson Mandela Football Invitational. City chief executive Ferran Soriano confirmed: “As well as competing in two games we have chosen Durban as our base for our training camp. It is an exciting time for the club as Manuel Pellegrini takes charge of the team for the first time.” Press Associationcenter_img After their stay in South Africa, City will head to Hong Kong, where they will compete alongside Sunderland and Tottenham in the bi-annual Premier League Asia Trophy. They will also face old boy Mario Balotelli when they take on AC Milan in the Audi Cup before wrapping up their pre-season programme with a trip to Helsinki on August 10, when they will take on fellow Champions League challengers Arsenal. last_img read more

Read More →

Hammers to stick with Sam

first_img Allardyce has also agreed to recruit a new attacking coach to help the team adopt a more positive style of play. The board will also have more influence on how the club spends “considerable funds” in the transfer market this summer. Joint-chairmen David Sullivan and David Gold said: “We have a very clear vision of how we want West Ham United to operate under our joint ownership. “Although not everybody understands the West Ham Way, we do and we respect it as we have been supporters all our lives. We believe this is about a philosophy that is not just about the style of play, but the whole ethos that surrounds the club. “Sam was asked to give us a detailed presentation on his vision for next season and during this he assured us that he can deliver that ethos to West Ham United and we have agreed to support him with the resources that he needs. “We have mapped out a way forward with him that will ensure our much-deserving fans have more to cheer about next season.” Allardyce guided the club to promotion from the Championship at the first attempt in 2012 and secured a 10th-place finish in the team’s first year back in the Premier League. The Hammers struggled with injuries to key players last season, including club-record signing Andy Carroll, and were threatened by relegation for the majority of the campaign. Press Association Three wins over rivals Tottenham and a 13th-place finish did little to appease disappointed supporters, who complained about the team’s defensive style of play. In March, the home fans at Upton Park booed at the final whistle even after the Hammers had beaten Hull 2-1, to which Allardyce responded by cupping his ears in disbelief. The statement concluded: “We are absolutely committed to taking West Ham United to new heights and we want to see the club continue on an upward trajectory next season. “The 2014/15 campaign is crucial to our future and we are confident that Sam has the passion, experience and determination to make sure it is a success.” Allardyce added: “I look forward to taking the club forward and improving the squad for next season to try and achieve the plans we have set out in our very productive meeting last week.” Sam Allardyce will remain as West Ham manager but will have to produce “more entertainment” on the field, the club announced on Tuesday. Allardyce and the West Ham board have held lengthy discussions and it was also made clear to the Hammers boss that his team must aim for “at least a top-10 finish” in the Barclays Premier League next season. A statement released by the club said: “After listening to feedback from supporters, the board have insisted on improvements to the set-up of the playing and backroom staff to ensure the team provides more entertainment next season.” last_img read more

Read More →

CDC: First person-to-person transmission of new coronavirus in US confirmed

first_imgThe Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has confirmed the first person-to-person transmission of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus in the United States.According to the CDC a woman was confirmed to be infected with the coronavirus in Chicago, Illinois, transmitted it to her husband. The woman arrived from Wuhan, China, where the first case was reported, on January 13th. Officials say she was feeling sick shorty after, and her husband developed symptoms of the virus right away. Officials say this is the first human-to-human spread in the United States. As of Thursday the virus has killed 170 people and sickened more than 7,000 people in mainland China.CDC officials say the risk for infection in the U.S. still remains low.last_img read more

Read More →

Cricket News Delhi and Jharkhand qualify for Syed Mushtaq Ali super league

first_img New Delhi: Jharkhand and Delhi Saturday qualified for the Super League stage of the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy T20 cricket tournament from Group ‘A’ with comfortable wins here over Kerala and Nagaland respectively. Jharkhand overhauled Kerala’s score of 176 for 6 in the final over when former India ODI cricketer Saurabh Tiwary smashed a six over covers off Sandeep Warrier. Kerala made an exit following today’s loss. In the other match, Delhi restricted Nagaland to 118 and romped home in 12.3 overs, thanks to Hiten Dalal’s 8, but was unable to pip Jharkhand on net run-rate after both teams finished on 20 points.Kerala captain Sachin Baby won the toss and chose to bat in a virtual shoot-out for a spot in the super league and the openers-Vishnu Vinod (27, 20 balls, 4X4) and Rohan Kunnummal provided a good start. India discards Varun Aaron proved expensive, spraying the ball around and was tonked for 35 runs in 3 overs. Vinod fell to the impressive Vikash Singh, edging one to keeper Ishan Kishan. highlights For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. Delhi and Jharkhand qualify for Syed Mushtaq Ali super league. Jharkhand upstaged Kerala and were through for later stages.  Jharkhand had lost captain Ishan Kishan for just 1. Rohan, meanwhile, was not afraid to go for the big hits and smashed three sixes and the captain was also able to find the boundary. The fall of Rohan brought Vinoop Manoharan to the crease and with Baby, he was involved in a fruitful 61-run stand in seven overs. Baby and Manoharan went for their shots and also ran well between the wickets.The dismissals of Baby (36, 3X4, 1X6) and Manoharan in the space of two overs pegged Kerala back. After Mohammed Azharudeen (8) and KB Arun Karthik fell in quick succession, left-hander Salman Nazir with his big blows was able to provide the impetus and take the score to 176.In reply, Jharkhand lost captain Ishan Kishan (1) in the third over, but the aggressive Anand Singh and southpaw Virat Singh took the attack to the Kerala bowlers. The two were particularly severe on M D Nidheesh and Vinoop Manoharan and provided a good platform for Jharkhand.The experienced Tiwary, renowned for his big hitting, clobbered five sixes in his 24-ball 50 to see the team, despite a mild wobble which saw Ishank Jaggi and Kumar Deobratfall for ducks. In the Delhi-Nagaland encounter, Subodh Bhati’s four-wicket haul helped the former bowl out its rival for 118. Dalal’s power-packed knock ensured that Delhi coasted to victory.last_img read more

Read More →

Austin Cindric completes Xfinity sweep at Kentucky Speedway

first_img Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditSPARTA, Ky. (AP) — Austin Cindric dominated Friday night to sweep the NASCAR Xfinity Series doubleheader at Kentucky Speedway.A night after racing to his first career oval victory in an overtime finish, the Team Penske driver was even stronger in the No. 22 Ford Mustang in the 300-mile capper.Cindric was third in the first stage, won the second and stretched it out in the final segment. He trailed briefly on the final restart, then sliced through two cars out of Turn 2 and rolled to victory by 2.262 seconds over points leader Chase Briscoe in the No. 98 Ford. Associated Press July 10, 2020 Austin Cindric completes Xfinity sweep at Kentucky Speedway Just after Cindric celebrated his victory with a burnout, drivers Harrison Burton and Noah Gragson argued before throwing punches in a fight that lasted several moments before they were separated.Justin Haley was third, followed by fellow Chevy drivers Ross Chastain and Justin Allgaier.The 21-year-old Cindric, son of Team Penske president Tim Cindric, won twice last year on road courses at Watkins Glen and Mid-Ohio. On Friday night, he led the final 43 laps and 130 of 200 overall.Gragson again showed early strength in taking the 45-lap first stage, his third segment win in two nights on the 1.5-mile oval.last_img read more

Read More →

Sergio Salcido’s five points carry No. 10 Syracuse to last-second win over No. 9 Virginia

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ With 30 seconds left, Sergio Salcido ran toward the top of the box. Virginia pressed out and cut off all of Syracuse’s players — except Salcido. So, he dodged. Virginia’s Michael Howard was right there, but Salcido tried again. And again. Eventually, Howard slipped and Salcido wound up.As the clock struck 15 seconds, the ball flew past goalie Will Railey into the back of the net. Syracuse had not led for 59 minutes, 45 seconds until Salcido stroked the game-winning goal.“When I got the ball,” Salcido said, “I looked over and they were shutting everyone and making me take the matchup they liked. I knew my team needed me to make a play.”For the third straight game, the last 15 seconds decided Syracuse’s fate. This game marked the first time the Orange had not led at any point. When Virginia cut off Syracuse’s top attackmen Nick Mariano and Jordan Evans, Salcido’s experience and quickness surfaced. His five-point performance proved vital in No. 10 Syracuse’s (3-1, 1-0 Atlantic Coast) 14-13 win over No. 9 Virginia (4-2, 0-1).The redshirt senior had not played much until last season, a “project years in development,” ESPN lacrosse analyst Mark Dixon said. As a redshirt junior in 2016, Salcido broke out, becoming a constant on Syracuse’s offense. He finished second on the team in goals (29) and assists (24), earning All-American status. He earned 2017 Preseason All-American First Team honors.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text “There’s not many people quicker than Salcido in Division I lacrosse,” Virginia head coach Lars Tiffany said.Before the Army game Feb. 25, head coach Joe Alberici said Salcido posed a matchup issue because of his speed and ability to get off his own shot. Last week, Tiffany said Salcido posed a dangerous matchup for Virginia.In the season opener against Siena, Salcido had a pair of goals and assists on 13 shots. A week later, versus Army, Salcido took only three shots. He made up for it by adding a goal and trio of assists. On Sunday afternoon, he added 11 shots, two goals and three assists.Ally Moreo | Photo EditorSalcido uses his speed and vision to find open holes and easy opportunities, as he has this season as Syracuse’s most seasoned veteran. After tallying three assists Sunday, Salcido ranks near the nation’s top 10 in assists per game.On Sunday, Virginia jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead before Salcido began to pull Syracuse back. He fired a pass across the field, finding Mariano in front of the net. He put it in with ease. Later, as Virginia held a 3-1 lead, Salcido caught a pass on a breakaway transition, then found a wide open Evans, rather than taking the shot.“Make sure if I’m trying to shoot the ball,” Salcido said, “it’s a quality shot.”Through four games, Salcido has battled injury, SU head coach John Desko said. He has been “banged up” and has missed practices because of it. Even leading up to Sunday’s game, he had not practiced each day. After a Harvard scrimmage on Jan. 4, Salcido hobbled off the field. Against Albany on Feb. 18, he had a “charley horse” that held him out for some time during which the Great Danes tacked on two goals. When he returned, he scored a pair of goals and assists.“That’s a lot to ask of him,” Desko said. “It’s hard to go out after not having some good runs during the week and play game day.”Salcido’s path to dominance started last season. Then, he wasn’t the go-to option. Dylan Donahue and Mariano were. Salcido facilitated the ball. As the offense sometimes stalls, Salcido needs to step up.And he did on Sunday. It wasn’t Mariano who was called on the final shot, like he had against Albany. It was Salcido. Comments Published on March 5, 2017 at 4:57 pm Contact Charlie: csdistur@syr.edu | @charliedisturcolast_img read more

Read More →

Odartey: Binding Black Stars Players with contracts is risky

first_imgEx-Ghana Black Stars midfielder Nii Odartey Lamptey thinks the Ghana Football Association (GFA) proposal of trapping invited national players with contracts before they represent the country in every tournament will be dangerous if it is implemented any time soon.The experienced midfielder made a quick reaction on Asempa Sports after the President of the Ghana FA, Kwesi Nyantakyi announced at a press conference after the national team poor outing in Brazil. According to Nyantekyi the teams’ players will be made to sign contracts in the near future when they gain call-ups to the team in other to rectify certain problems the Ghana FA encountered ahead of the Mundial in Brazil over payments of appearance.These contracts will deal with areas such as bonuses, appearance fees and general conduct on national team duty.In Brazil the entire Black Stars players boycotted some training sessions ahead of their last group G match against Portugal because the government and the GFA had failed to pay them their $100,000 appearance fees before the start of the World Cup.   But 1991 FIFA U-17 best player believes the contract will rather drive the players away from playing for mother Ghana.“My view is that players signing contract will create a lot of problem because the players may opt out if the winning bonuses at the national level cannot be compare to that of club side.“Am not defending the players but I believe it will drive the players away from committing  themselves for the nation because a player may earned about $50,000 a week at a club level and will not get even 10 percent of that when playing for the national team and this will surely push the players away.“Although the Black Stars performance was abysmal comparing to the previous editions in Germany and South Africa but I believe the GFA should have a way of solving this issue because if they refuse, this may end Ghana’s qualification to subsequent FIFA World Cup”. He addedlast_img read more

Read More →

Baby Jet Promotions briefs media on Tagoe Vs Momba bout, Wednesday

first_imgBaby Jet Promotions will hold a press conference to brief the media on the upcoming bout between Ghana’s Emmanuel Tagoe and Tanzanian Sadiaki Momba.The bout is billed to take place in Accra on Boxing Day.A statement said the press conference will come off at the Media Center of the Accra Sports Stadium on Wednesday December 3, 2014.The media briefing is expected to start at 10:00 AM local time.The press conference will announce the details of the upcoming bout on December 26, dubbed “Who rules the ring”. All accredited media personnel are invited. For further details contact Jeffery Asare on :0244439945last_img read more

Read More →

2018 Hockey Africa Cup for Club Championship launched

first_imgThe media launch for the 2018 African Cup for Clubs Championship has taken place at the Theodosia Okoe Hockey Stadium in Accra, Ghana where the tournament involving the top clubs on the continent of Africa will vie for honour, from January 20 to 28, 2018.President of the Ghana Hockey Federation (GHF), Richard Akpokavie said it is about time Ghanaian clubs win the championship and hopes that with their preparations and the current form of some players they can make it.“This competition is the 30th edition and Ghana having hosted for the four successful times is ready to host the rest of the continent.“Everything is well in place for the start of the tournament and I am urging all Ghanaians to help make this a success, we all have a role to play and to sell Ghana to the hockey loving fans across Africa and the world,” he stated.Mr. Robert Sarfo Mensah, Director-General of National Sports Authority (NSA) at a press conference, said it was an honour for Ghana to host such a tournament again.“I am very happy Ghana has been given the chance to host this tournament again, it is an opportunity for our hockey players to prepare for bigger events in future especially the female National team that has qualified for the commonwealth games in Gold Coast Australia”. According to Mr. Sarfo Mensah, the NSA is every ready to give all its support to ensure a successful tournament.Trustees of SNIIT, Sapholda – the league winners and Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA) are representing Ghana.Eastern Company Hockey Club of Egypt (defending champions), El Shakira also of Egypt, Niger Flickers of Nigeria and Police Machine – runners-up in the Nigerian League are the participants in the male division.The female competition is between title holders, Telkom Hockey Club of Kenya, Strathmore Hockey Club, KADA Queens and Yobe Desert Queens from Nigeria, Ghana’s GRA (defending league champions) and Police (league runners-up).last_img read more

Read More →